At John Ball School we believe that science inspires children, encouraging them to be inquisitive, nurturing their innate curiosity and enabling them to develop skills that are useful across their learning.
By the end of their primary education, our children should understand the important ideas in science, how they have been established and that over time they may be subject to change should new evidence arise. In addition, our children should be equipped to make informed decisions about new technologies, their health and the scientific opportunities around them through using evidence.
At John Ball Design Technology allows children to be innovative, creative and able to express their opinions on existing products. We strive to encourage children to be confident and enthusiastic about design technology.
Our Design Technology curriculum combines both theory and practical work, providing children with the skills and knowledge to create and evaluate products. These skills envelope Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths. Children will also work through a design brief using their theory, combined with observational and creativity skills to produce a product.
At John Ball we believe that ability within Maths is not fixed and we develop a ‘We Can’ attitude to Maths with our children.
Through our maths curriculum children will be able to memorise key facts and procedures, to solve maths questions accurately and quickly. But as importantly, they will learn how to apply their knowledge in maths to new and sometimes unfamiliar situations. Over their school journey children will learn to:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of maths so that they develop conceptual understanding, with the ability to recall, and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- solve problems by applying their maths skills to a variety of problems with increasing sophistication, including in unfamiliar contexts and to model real-life scenarios.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, and develop and present a justification, argument or proof using mathematical language.
At John Ball school we believe it is essential that all children gain the confidence and ability to use technology safely, and are prepared for a rapidly changing world of tech. Our computing curriculum offers a broad range of topics designed to provide children with a progression of skills and knowledge. Their understanding of key ideas in computing is built on across key stages, and a progression of skills allows children to move from end users to creators of content.
We aim to:
- give children opportunities to use computing in every subject in the curriculum.
- teach children how to use the internet safely by teaching appropriate online safety and responsible use.
- give children opportunities to choose when to use technology and which is best to use for given tasks.
For more detailed information about our curriculum, please contact the school office at firstname.lastname@example.org